WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Go down

Newsman's sport fishing column & report Empty Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Post  newsman Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Sport fishing column for July 12 to 19, 2010

Last week I suggested that fish can be good teachers and this week I wish to expand on that statement. I know I may have ruffled a few feathers amongst my readership and some may think it blasphemes, but do fish Black Crappie quite often during the heat of summer. In fact it's a practice I have done for the forty years I have been a fly fisherman.

I often tell students in my fly fishing classes that Crappie's are a great training fish. These ready and aggressive feeders are a useful resource for parents wanting to introduce impatient youngsters to sport fishing. They are also handy for learning the art of dry fly fishing. In the heat of summer, when trout can be suffering from the dire effects of oxygen depleted waters, Crappies rise aggressively each evening to small Mayflies, Caddis and Adult Chironomids. They my not be large, but they do provide adequate sport on light tackle and are an outstanding table fish. On a good day it is not unreasonable for a seasoned angler to set their sites on a catch rate in excess of one hundred.

Yes they are small compared to our pacific salmon; but in the words of the profit I would advise "Do not despise these small beginnings."

The report

Our lower mainland lake fishing (trout and kokanee) is slowing down, due to the summer heat. Early mornings and evenings are your key to success now. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Big Black, Nation's Black, Baggy Shrimp, Coachman, Cased Caddis, Halfback, Dragon Nymph, Carey Special, Zulu, or Doc Spratley. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Tom Thumb, Renegade, Black Gnat, Foam Ant, Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Red Abbis, Red Spratley, Bloodworm, Royal Coachman, San Juan Worm, or red Micro Leach.

Local bass and crappie fishing is AAA. For bass try: Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Blood Leach, Matuka, Popin Bugs, Chernobyl Ants, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Epoxy Minnow, Deceiver, Muddler Minnow, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Irresistible, or Tom Thumb. For crappie try: Black Gnat, Lady McConnel, Coachman, Royal Coachman, Ant, chartreuse Boobie, Wooly Bugger, Trico, Griffith Gnat, or Irresistible.

Fishing on our interior lakes is first rate, with fish to 12 lb reported. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Pumpkinhead, 52 Buick, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, olive Matuka, Butler's Bug, Halfback, Baggy Shrimp, Sooboo, Sixpack, or Green Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Irresistible, Big Ugly, Double Hackled Peacock, Tom Thumb, Royal Wulff, Goddard Sedge, Sofa Pillow, or Elk Hair Caddis.

The Fraser River is still high. Springs open on the 16th. For better success, focus on the cleaner water in and around its feeder streams. For cutthroat and rainbow try: Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Kaufmann Stone, Coachman, Zulu, Chez Nymph, Black Gnat, Sooboo, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Stimulator. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #2) Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Dolly Whacker, black Popsicle, or Big Black.

The Vedder River is high but fishing well for rainbow.

The Stave River is good for cutthroat and rainbow.

Wild pacific salmon are part of our heritage; say no to the foreign national
companies and their farmed fish.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Newsman's sport fishing column & report Empty Re: Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Post  Guest Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Friday is the open for the Fraser the counts have been low and the size retention is small but if you think about it its only really 2 days fishing for most or 3 if you get out once during the week. 2 more weeks and on the 30th its full go and theres better chance the 30th will produce bigger runs at that time. The vedder is good way up near the hatchery not low but its still packed with fish and find nice pools that thier resting in lots of options. Gear up with new line and get your floats while they last too. Flys are great as well use a clear fly line sinking or floating and your set. See you out and about. Later

Back to top Go down

Newsman's sport fishing column & report Empty Re: Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Post  newsman Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 pm

bcbassin wrote:Friday is the open for the Fraser the counts have been low and the size retention is small but if you think about it its only really 2 days fishing for most or 3 if you get out once during the week. 2 more weeks and on the 30th its full go and theres better chance the 30th will produce bigger runs at that time. The vedder is good way up near the hatchery not low but its still packed with fish and find nice pools that thier resting in lots of options. Gear up with new line and get your floats while they last too. Flys are great as well use a clear fly line sinking or floating and your set. See you out and about. Later

Since you brought it up Justen; BIG FLIES #2 & #1. My fave is my own pattern "Flat Black" others that work are black or good Kaufmann Stone, Popcycle, Big Black. Stay away from all flash they don't like bright light. My personal best (spring) on the fly 36 lb.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down