WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Go down

Newsman's sport fishing column & report Empty Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Post  newsman Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:48 am

Sport fishing column for July 19 to 26, 2010

I was going to drop the subject of panfish until an interesting article on this subject appeared on my newswire.

Quoting from Mississippi's, Hattiesburg American; "If bluegill (panfish) are to be the main focus of your fly fishing efforts, a 7 to 7.5 foot fiberglass rod designed to cast 4 weight line will be sufficient."

Then this article goes on to recommend more modern graphite rods for trout. I found this an interesting contrast; functional old school equipment for a fish that are out of vogue and modern graphite for the popular species. This reminds me of Solomon's words, "Nothing under the sun is truly new."

Am I going panfish angling this weekend? No. I am suppose to be on vacation and hope to be in pursuit of another of BC's fabulous game fish; eastern brook trout. Where? In the region north of Steelhead Town and west of The Chasm.

The report

Our lower mainland lake fishing (trout and kokanee) is fair to good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Big Black, Nation's Black, Baggy Shrimp, Coachman, Cased Caddis, Halfback, Dragon Nymph, Carey Special, Zulu, or Doc Spratley. For dry (floating) fly fishing try: Tom Thumb, Renegade, Black Gnat, Foam Ant, Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, or Elk Hair Caddis. For kokanee try: Red Abbis, Red Spratley, Bloodworm, Royal Coachman, San Juan Worm, or red Micro Leach.

Local bass and crappie fishing is good. For bass try: Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Blood Leach, Matuka, Popin Bugs, Chernobyl Ants, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Epoxy Minnow, Deceiver, Muddler Minnow, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Irresistible, or Tom Thumb. For crappie try: Black Gnat, Lady McConnel, Coachman, Royal Coachman, Ant, chartreuse Boobie, Wooly Bugger, Trico, Griffith Gnat, or Irresistible.

Fishing on our interior lakes is first rate, with fish to 17 lb reported. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Pumpkinhead, 52 Buick, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, olive Matuka, Butler's Bug, Halfback, Baggy Shrimp, Sooboo, Sixpack, or Green Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Irresistible, Big Ugly, Double Hackled Peacock, Tom Thumb, Royal Wulff, Goddard Sedge, Sofa Pillow, or Elk Hair Caddis.

The Fraser River is high but fishable for spring, dolly varden, cutthroat, and rainbow. For spring try: Kaufmann Stone, Eggo, Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, GP, Big Black or Flat Black. For cutthroat and rainbow try: Rolled Muddler, Mickey Finn, Tied Down Minnow, Professor, Lioness, Kaufmann Stone, Coachman, Zulu, Chez Nymph, Black Gnat, Sooboo, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, or Stimulator. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #2) Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Dolly Whacker, black Popsicle, or Big Black.

The Vedder River is fair to good for spring and rainbow.

The Stave River is good for cutthroat and rainbow.

The Thompson and Nicola rivers are fishable for rainbow; try the above patterns along with Joe's Hopper.

Wild pacific salmon are part of our heritage; say no to the foreign national
companies and their farmed fish.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down