WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Go down

Newsman's sport fishing column & report Empty Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Post  newsman Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:56 pm

Sorry guys I don't know what happened this should have gone out Monday night when it went to all the other forms. Thank you Andy for pointing it out.

Sport fishing column for May 30 to June 6, 2011

This week I pulled a success story from the history books. It was a calculated risk that today would be mired so deep in red tape that might not even happen.

The year was 1964; Ralph Macmullan, director of the Department of Conservation gave the order "do something spectacular," to the newly appointed chief of Michigan State Fisheries, Howard Tanner. Lake Michigan's native lake trout were extinct, the whitefish were close behind, and each summer the beaches were littered with decaying alewives. Tanner was quoted as saying, "If we do this, I will either be a hero, or I will be the biggest bum to come down the street in a long time," at the prospect of stocking pacific salmon into Lake Michigan. Then the call came informing him of a surplus of available coho eggs on the West Coast and the state of the great lakes fishery was to be irrevocably changed.

658,760 coho molts were later released into the Platte River and Bear Creek. No-one was prepared for what the hoard of returning salmon would bring. Shore line towns were unable to accommodate deluge of fisherman who converged on their communities. There were not enough boat launches, washrooms, or parking. Tackle shops sold out of lures, gas stations ran out of gas, and tourism that had ended with Labour Day was extended one to two months.

Turn the page forty six years and all the great lakes have a salmon fishery that rivals our's on the west coast. It took courage and vision to build the great lakes salmon fishery. Canada, of course, waited until the Americans proved it would work before we followed suit on our side of the border. There is much complaining about the decline of or west coast salmon and steelhead stocks, with all too few solutions offered. Can we fix our problems? Of course we can; we just need conviction, vision, and workable ideas.

I'm still waiting to see enhancement to the Thompson River.

The report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes looks good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Coachman, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Sixpack, Dragonfly Nymph, Halfback, Doc Spratley, Baggy Shrimp, or Zulu. For dry (floating) fly action try: Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Royal Coachman, or Renegade. For Kokanee try: Red Abbis, Bloodworm, Red Spratley, San Juan Worm, Red Quill, or Double Trude.

Our lower mainland bass and panfish fisheries are good also. For Bass try: Wooly bugger, Big Black, Lizard, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Zonker, Tied Down Minnow, Bucktail, Dolly Whacker, or Crayfish, in sizes 4 to 1. For Crappie or Pumpkinseed try: Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Micro Leach, Bucktail, Tied Down Minnow, Dolly Whacker, or Clouser's Deep Minnow in sizes 12 to 8.

Fishing is fair to good on our lakes. For wet fly fishing try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Egg Sucking Leach, Chironomid, Bloodworm, Pumpkinhead, Dragonfly Nymph, Halfback Nymph, 52 Buick. Doc Spratley, Green Spratley, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry fly on warm afternoons try: Irresistible, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Tom Thumb, Renegade, Double Hackled Peacock, Goddard Caddis, or Elk Hair Caddis.

You can find more at "The Reel Life Press" by Jeff Weltz

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down