WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sturgeon Slough

2 posters

Go down

Sturgeon Slough Empty Sturgeon Slough

Post  EZ Over Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:19 am

Been to Sturgeon Slough 3 times in the past week, and caught 5 small LMB. But I fished for hours each time. Was it ever good there?

EZ Over

Back to top Go down

Sturgeon Slough Empty Re: Sturgeon Slough

Post  Quin Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Sturgeon slough gets a fair bit of angling pressure. You'll see quite a few anglers at the bridge fishing for carp and other "coarse" fish, this of course attracts other anglers to the slough. It's unfortunate but there is a group of anglers that keep everything they catch. Regardless of size, and I really mean regardless of size--- 2 to 3 inch pumpkinseeds etc. This has surely had an impact on the fish population and sadly it's spreading to the Pitt marsh as well !

It was at the Pitt marsh where I saw an angler catch a 2 1/2 inch pumpkinseed(That's tiny, fits in the palm of your hand with room left over) and remark "Better than nothing" . I replied "Not much !"

We've got to start educating these people that there's a limited population of these fish and also it might not be so healthy eating them with all the farm products leaching into the watershed.

Quin

Quin
lunker
lunker

Back to top Go down

Post  EZ Over Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:40 am

Yeah, the other day I had just pulled a 7" bass out of Sturgeon Slough, when two guys walked up and asked me why I was releasing it. I said it was much to small to keep and that the water is dirty, there. --To which he replied, "We eat anything we catch." How sad. There go a lot of fish that will never reach a decent size for sport fishing.

On a happier note, I was up in Pitt Marsh on Monday and I hooked three Bass on spinner bait and a bull bullfrog with a topwater frog. Lots of fun!

EZ Over

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down