WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Go down

Newsman's sport fishing column & report Empty Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Post  newsman Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; Oct 21 to 28, 2013

Steelhead! If there is a drama queen in the ranks of sport fish; this sea run rainbow is her. No fish draws more of the worlds rich and famous to our Cascadian streams than this one. Consequently many a business balance sheet teeters between profit and loss on the back of this fish.

To fly anglers, winter steelhead are known as the fish of a thousand casts. While the summer genus of this species is often as aggressive as his or her unsalted relatives.

"I saw that the fish was following the fly. He came at it and missed, but I could still see him so I continued my slow recovery. He was still following … so I let the fly drift back, watched him rise to it … then struck hard. This time he was securely hooked." This passage was taken from Fisherman's Fall, by author Roderick Haig-Brown.

Summer steel are my favorite rainbows. There is nothing like fishing the evening rise with dry flies the size of a bass plug. While casting to explosive takes and watching coho sized trout go airborne with your fly. The Thomson is open. Who's going to break that forty four inch (fly rod) record?

The Report

Our lower mainland lake fishing is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Nations Black, Zulu, Wooly Bugger, Wooly Worm, Pumpkin Head, Micro Leach, Doc Spratley, Halfback, Sixpack, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly action try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Double Hackled Peacock, Royal Coachman, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, or Elk Hair Caddis.

Our lower Mainland bass and panfish waters are active. For Bass try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Pumpkinhead, Dragon Nymph, Crayfish, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Bucktail, Hair Frog, Poppers, (adult) Dragonfly, Chernobyl Ant, Optic, or Stimulator. For Panfish try smaller (size 10 to 16) versions of the above.

Fishing on our interior lakes is good. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Halfback Nymph, Baggy Shrimp, Pumpkin Head, Wooly Bugger, Big Black, Dragon Nymph, Sixpack, 52 Buick, Soubou, or Doc Spratley. For dry fly fishing try: Lady McConnel, Tom Thumb, Adams, Irresistible, Renegade, Black Gnat, Backswimmer, or Elk Hair Caddis.

The Fraser River is fishing well for springs, chum, pinks, and coho. For spring try: Popsicle, Squamish Poacher, Big Black, Black Stone, Flat black, Eggo, black GP, or dark Bunny Leach. For pink try: Pink Eve, Cathy's Coat, Happy Hooker, or pink Bunny Leach. For chum try: Eggo, Christmas Tree, Met Green, Holliman, Dec 25th, or pink & purple Bunny Leach. For coho try: Eggo, Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Coho Blue, Bite Me, Christmas Tree, green Wooly Bugger, Egg Sucking Leach, or Big Black.

The Vedder River is good for coho, spring, and rainbow. For rainbow try: Czech nymph, Kaufmann Stone, Hares Ear, Big Black, Wooly Bugger, Zulu, Soubou, Irresistible, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Black Gnat, or Renegade.

The Harrison River is good for cutthroat, pink, coho, and spring. We have heard rumors of springs. Try: Professor, Anderson Stone, American Coachman, Rolled Muddler, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Zulu, Hares Ear, Renegade, or Irresistible.

The Thompson River is very good for steelhead, and rainbow. For steelhead try: Steelhead Nightmare, Big Black, Kaufmann Stone, Rolled Muddler, Steelhead Bee, Irresistible, October Caddis, or Stimulator.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down