WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newsman's sport fishing column and report

Go down

Newsman's sport fishing column and report Empty Newsman's sport fishing column and report

Post  newsman Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:00 am

Weekly Fraser Valley Sport fishing column; Nov 24 to Dec 1, 2014

I met Swede in the morning as planned, and we headed for the Ashcroft launch.

On the water Swede took full advantage of finally getting me in one of his dories, oar splashing me, and tail dancing through the white water at every possible opportunity. Thankfully first fishing spot was encountered before I was completely drenched, allowing me dry out before my next ceremonial baptism.

The fishing was good, and an even dozen were landed and released before we moved on to the next spot. Oh how I wished I had brought a rain coat.

The second run was better than the first and I had all but forgotten about what it had taken to get to that spot, when I heard Swede.

“Come on preacher, we gotta head onto the next spot before that sun gets much higher. I saved the best spot for last, and we gotta get at it before the sun gets to mid sky, or it’ll be all over till evening.”

This time there were no games, with Swede rowing for all he was worth in an effort to beat the sun. Swede beached the dory on the head of an island, telling me to go and fish the run on the far side, while head tied off his dory.

The run was classic water, the kind you see on covers of fly fishing magazines, a wonder to behold. As I readied my rod, admiring the run I heard voices. Turning my head to my shoulder and twisting to the left, I saw the Rocky Mountaineer, stopped on the hill directly behind us. I could see people all over the viewing platforms, so I turned and waved. They waved back, so I said a quick prayer.

“Lord those people paid a lot of money to ride the tourist train and I believe they stopped for a show. So let’s give them one.”

Turning back to water, I put my full concentration into making a picture perfect cast. It was one of those rare days that it actually worked; the cast came off perfectly. The fly touched down exactly where I wanted and I guided it through the run. A solid fish hit mid way through the run, and knowing my audience was watching, I determined myself not to lose it. When I brought it to hand, it measured a full twenty six inches. I held up my prize for the tourists to see. Then amid their cheers, I sent the fish back to spawn many more as miraculous as its self.

The Report

Our lower mainland lakes are fishing slow to fair, for rainbow and cutthroat.
Try: Wooly Bugger, Leach, Dragon nymph, Halfback, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is fair to good for spring, coho, and chum. For spring try: Popsicle, Big Black, GP, Squamish Poacher, Eggo, Flat Black, Mat Red, or Kaufmann Stone. For coho try: Coho blue, Rolled Muddler, Eggo, Christmas Tree, Bite Me, or olive Wooly Bugger. For chum try: Christmas Tree, Eggo, Popsicle, Big black, Mat green, Mat red, Holliman, green, pink, or purple Wooly Bugger

The Vedder River is fair coho and chum.

The Harrison River is fair to good for chum, spring, coho, rainbow, and cutthroat. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Hairs Ear, Elk Hair Caddis, Anderson Stone, Eggo, Golden Stone, Adams, or Irresistible.

The Thompson River is good for steelhead. Try Popsicle, Polar Shrimp, Big Black, GP, Eggo, Purple Peril, Squamish Poacher, or Kaufmann Stone.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down