WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Go down

Newsman's sport fishing column & report Empty Newsman's sport fishing column & report

Post  newsman Tue May 29, 2012 1:16 am

Sport fishing column for May 28 to June 4, 2012

We have come to the end of May, June is on the radar, and trout fishing season is moving into high gear. One of the things I like about June is the Greg Clark Memorial Derby on Cultis Lake. I know there are some who don't like the derby thing, while others who don't like the Greg Clark, because it is a Pike Minnow Derby, and still others who think Pike Minnows are too undignified to wet a line for. I don't harbor such prejudices; to me derby fishing, whatever species we are fishing for, is a way to economize. Let's face it; it costs money fuel up the vehicle and boat. So if you off set some future costs (birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, etc) with prizes or cash, this type of fishing is almost like having your cake and eating it too.

The Greg Clark has a practical side too. It is a useful tool in reducing the population of Pike Minnows that feed aggressively on our prized Salmon Fry. Unlike our neighbors who introduce predatory species to keep Pike Minnows in check we choose to use cull derbies.

There are other bonuses to the Greg Clark as well: The derby is held on Saturday of Fathers Day Weekend, which is also the BC Free Family Fishing Weekend, which means you don't need a fishing license and there is a $2 bounty paid for each Pike Minnow turned in.

Interested? I thought you might be. More information is available where the tickets are sold: Fred's Custom Tackle, Kent Outdoors, Chilliwack Dart & Tackle, Trask Outdoors, Rosedale Mini Mart, and Cultus Lake Golf Course.

The Report

Our lower mainland lake fishing is fair to good. For wet (sinking) fly trout fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Red Spratley, Coachman, Zulu, American Coachman, Professor, Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Dragonfly Nymph, Sixpack, Doc Spratley, Pumpkinhead, or Baggy Shrimp. For dry (floating) fly trout fishing try: Tom Thumb, Irresistible, Royal Coachman, Renegade, Elk hair Caddis, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, or Lady McConnel. For kokanee try: Red Ibis, Double Trued, Blood Worm, San Juan Worm, Red Spratley, or Red Carey. For bass try: Zonker, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, Big Black, Wooly bugger, or Crayfish. For panfish try: Wooly Bugger, Micro Leach, Bucktail, Dolly Whacker, Bloodworm, Chironomid.

Fishing on our interior lakes is good and yes those Nicola Lake Kokanee are beginning to bite. For wet fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Halfback, 52 Buick, Pumpkinhead, Big Black, Micro Leach, Coachman, Green Spratley, Carey Special, Souboo, or Baggy Shrimp. For Dry fly fishing on those warm afternoons, try: Lady McConnel, Black Gnat, Double Hackled Peacock, Griffith Gnat, Elk Haired Caddis, Irresistible, Sofa Pillow, or Tom Thumb.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down