WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets talk fly fishing for Bass

4 posters

Go down

Lets talk fly fishing for Bass Empty Lets talk fly fishing for Bass

Post  newsman Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:00 pm

Have you read the feature in BC Outdoors bt Jim Baily? what flies have worked best for you I have had good success with Bass Azteck, Wooley Bugger, and Clouser's Deep Minnow.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Lets talk fly fishing for Bass Empty bass fly gear

Post  Guest Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:15 pm

ive never flyfished for bass so i dont know what gear to use for it or what flies so any help in that regard would be greatfully appreciated

Back to top Go down

Lets talk fly fishing for Bass Empty Re: Lets talk fly fishing for Bass

Post  andy Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 pm

hey jeff can you maybe post some pics of those flies for the guys who dont know what they are
andy
andy
king basser
king basser

http://www.westcoastbassanglers.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  newsman Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Ha ha, that is a good one Andy; I'm a dinosaur from the time before metric. Posting pictures is one of those computer skills that fall in the area of my computer illiteracy. My suggestion is to google search under images Bass Flies; there is an endless supply there.

As for fly fishing for Bass it is not much different than any other fish. You need to think of the basic ideology of fly fishing, replicating the food source. So the question you need to ask yourself is what do the Bass I am targeting eat. What do they eat at this time of year? What is their favorite food? Then pick flies that look as close to those items as possible.

Don't fall into the trap that too many get into of reading more into it than it is. One of the best bits of advice I got over the years, came from Hal Staythers of Lillooet when he told me. "What works, works; and what doesn't, doesn't. Just because some *&^&*% thinks he is smarter than everyone else and comes up with some new finagled invention doesn't mean it works. If it worked fifty years ago and still works today put it in your box."

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:00 pm

ill do some google research for flies and ill post pics what about types of rods reels and line would you suggest jeff
andy
andy
king basser
king basser

Back to top Go down

Post  newsman Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:46 pm

A reel, is a reel, is a reel. When it comes to fly fishing, it is just a place to store your line, so any good single action reel is fine. I find many of the old timers in the pawnshops and antique shops are better and cheaper than most moderately priced fly reels in the shops. Give them a good once over and if they look good; take them home clean them and grease them. Some of the old times were good for 50 years of regular use. I have some old Condex reels (dated 1942) that I bought 20 years ago, that still work very well. I have an old Diawa from 1972 that is only on it's last legs now. I have worn out three modern reels, while my old timers are still going.

As for rods a moderately priced ($80 - $120) 6wt or 7wt, moderate to fast action, rod & reel combo would make a good starter. (Better deals come up but you really need to know your equipment to get the good ones.) Products fro Kufa or Redl Sports are a good bet. Don't be fooled by price my biggest disappointment was an Islander reel.

As for lines any moderately priced line will work. I would suggest a weight forward floating to start. Make sure the line weight match's the weight recommended for your rod.

Watch for the sales. When I see them I will post them on this thread.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Post  newsman Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:14 am

So I did a google image search on bass flies today. Pretty lame stuff. Makes me think this end of fly fishing is wide open. Pretty much all Woolly Buggers, and Minnow patterns (mediocre minnow patterns at that).

Made me think the focus is on predator patterns. So I will be testing and adjusting the predator patterns I have developed for the other predator species, over the next few months and will keep you all posted. (You can find 6 of my best in the book "A Compendium Of Canadian Fly Patterns.)

In the mean time google search these two: "Big Black," (the very best leach pattern I have come across) and "Irresistible." Tie them big #4 to #2 (Justin says he can help you with dry fly hooks in that size.)

Nice fish you caught today Shane, you have me motivated now!

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:32 am

newsman wrote:A reel, is a reel, is a reel. When it comes to fly fishing, it is just a place to store your line, so any good single action reel is fine. I find many of the old timers in the pawnshops and antique shops are better and cheaper than most moderately priced fly reels in the shops. Give them a good once over and if they look good; take them home clean them and grease them. Some of the old times were good for 50 years of regular use. I have some old Condex reels (dated 1942) that I bought 20 years ago, that still work very well. I have an old Diawa from 1972 that is only on it's last legs now. I have worn out three modern reels, while my old timers are still going.

As for rods a moderately priced ($80 - $120) 6wt or 7wt, moderate to fast action, rod & reel combo would make a good starter. (Better deals come up but you really need to know your equipment to get the good ones.) Products fro Kufa or Redl Sports are a good bet. Don't be fooled by price my biggest disappointment was an Islander reel.

As for lines any moderately priced line will work. I would suggest a weight forward floating to start. Make sure the line weight match's the weight recommended for your rod.

Watch for the sales. When I see them I will post them on this thread.

I agree with the reel, but I have to disagree with you on 6-7wt rod. Maybe for smallmouth or smaller bass, but casting a large wind resistance size 2-2/0 deer hair bug or weighted 5" streamers for largemouth is not working well on 6-7wt. but again, it is all about situation and personal preference, like many other spinning or bait casting gear, i think several rods in hand or be specific on where and what you gonna fish. Or maybe I am wrong that most bass in BC is just not that big anywayz? there's also uite a lot books on bass fly fishing, namely Dave whitlock or Lefty's, all demonstarte different kind of presentation on floating line, sinking tip, intermediate line, or full sinking line on floater, chugger, walker, slider, jig, streamers..etc fly patterns, so might want to look it up and consider the variations as well as the varieties.

Back to top Go down

Post  newsman Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:55 am

I have read some of Whitlock stuff and do agree he has some good points. I find some of his fly patterns to be on the complicated side. Where I like flies that are relatively easy to tie and durable. Lefty has great stuff to say and his deceiver is great pattern.

As for getting into all the different lines I prefer to stick with one good floater and one medium sink line. If I need to change depths I switch to weighted flies, and/or a leadhead or shooting head. Since I make my own it is fairly easy to adjust to the length and depth I want. I will say I am rethinking the rod weight since Justin told me he uses deer hair patterns up size 7/0.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:01 am

newsman wrote:I have read some of Whitlock stuff and do agree he has some good points. I find some of his fly patterns to be on the complicated side. Where I like flies that are relatively easy to tie and durable. Lefty has great stuff to say and his deceiver is great pattern.

As for getting into all the different lines I prefer to stick with one good floater and one medium sink line. If I need to change depths I switch to weighted flies, and/or a leadhead or shooting head. Since I make my own it is fairly easy to adjust to the length and depth I want. I will say I am rethinking the rod weight since Justin told me he uses deer hair patterns up size 7/0.
wow, 7/0 holy mother of bass, any pics of the flies like that? sounds like some sorta saltwater swordfish pattern to me

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:52 am

people use 10-16 " worms and giant swimbaits for bass so 7/0 is not unrealistic, however you can tie long patterns on smaller hooks, bass often smack the head of their target so the hook doesn't need to be massive, either way an 8 wt is still pretty handy

Back to top Go down

Post  newsman Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:53 pm

I though 7/0 was a bit over kill. I have some that I bought a few years ago to tie some big patterns for 15 to 20lb searun dollies, but that is a maybe once or twice a year fishery. I don't even go over size 2 for Tyee; but hey I'm still a bit green to lower mainland bass, so I gotta go with what you guys in the know say.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Lets talk fly fishing for Bass Empty flys

Post  PopperBoy Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:19 am

even though its an old post though id post some of my bass flies for u guys i only fly fish for em very rarley do i pick up a gear rod to fish for anything for that matter any way here are some of my bass flies that i have tied

PopperBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  newsman Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:50 pm

I would like to see those flies. They did not show up on your post, if you still run into difficulties I am sure Addy can help. Very Happy

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Post  PopperBoy Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:12 am

lol yea i cant get them to upload lol dum tech nologie

PopperBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:52 am

email me the pics andyfournier61@hotmail.com
andy
andy
king basser
king basser

Back to top Go down

Post  PopperBoy Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 am

ok thanks andy

PopperBoy

Back to top Go down

Post  platypus Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:01 pm

--not so much the weight of the rod as how you do the hook set and if you are fishing in the weeds.
--smallies basically can be fished like trout.. any trout fly you don't need the big poppers and mice.
--for largies try looking up Pike fly's.. they are larger streamer types, mice etc. for the big meal deal.

--I'm using an 8wt www.alekasports.com not a specialty Bass rod.. some manufacturers now like Sage are making shorter rods that can be used in Official Bass tourneys. Short cast beefy rods fo help with hook set.

--Hook set... If you're not getting hook set you can try lower rod pointed to lure and set hook by jerking the line rather than the rod.... alternative is low rod angle and side ways hook set.. again keeping good contact with the line..

--Different fly rods have different actions that is why I am us'ing the 8 wt Aleka it has a lot of back bone.

--you would be able to land fish no problem with a lighter rod..but htink of fly rods abe being ultralinte spin casters thus need to play the fish in a different mannor.

--As to turning over larger flys the modern weight forward lines do a good job most brands have a wind or large bug short taper... you can also save money on dry line like Scientific angler head start.. this in a shorter line with more weight forward and easy casting for beginers. cheaper because it is shorter and with the heavy head will punch out in the wind or larger flys
--Remember most of the bass guys in USA are fishing warm water most of the time thus might be using gear not suitable for this time of year

Last edited by platypus on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

platypus

Back to top Go down

Post  platypus Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:43 pm

--a lot of guys using slower presentations this time of year so an intermediate sink line may give better presentation than floating with sink tip.
--I use float line with interchangeable sinking leaders different rates of sink and depth...which can be adjusted for fishing shallow flats.

--This time of year in Okanagan as ice comes off... large dragon larvae, leaches, shrimp all work well... some guys complaining they are getting good size rainbows when they are targeting Bass on Vaseux.
--Note new regs for Vaseux this year with release of larger Bass required can only keep one larger bass. I'm not suggesting keeping them but it does offer some protection and a small step toward actually managing the Bass fishery.. Not so happy with the increased retention limits for rest of the region but its a start.

platypus

Back to top Go down

Post  newsman Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 pm

I don't agree with the choice of Pike sized flies for large mouth, at least not here in the lower mainland. It has been my experience that Mr B misses on every top water attack on anything over a size #4. When I switched from using bass poppers and hairfrogs, to crappie poppers and chernobly ants in sizes 6 and 4; I never experienced another miss.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Post  platypus Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 pm

--meant to say Pike like not Pike size flies... agree not looking to toss an 8 inch streamer.
--Was thinking more minnow pattern or mouse about 1 1/2 inch size.

--Also trying to relate to those who may not fly fish much...that is think about presentation you would use and mimic with similar fly presentation.

platypus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down