WCBA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What weight rod and type of line do you recommend?

4 posters

Go down

What weight rod and type of line do you recommend? Empty What weight rod and type of line do you recommend?

Post  badgoalie Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:17 am

Hey folks,

I'm new to fly fishing and new to Bass, but really excited about getting out there and giving it a go. I have a 6wt single handed rod and a 3/4 weight Spey, but I'm curious as to what weight rods are being used locally. I don't expect that the size of the bass will the be the issue, but I could imagine chucking a popper out there could be a bit of an issue on a lighter rig.

Also, anyone use sink-tip lines or other methods to get deeper?

Thanks very much,

BadGoalie

badgoalie

Back to top Go down

What weight rod and type of line do you recommend? Empty Re: What weight rod and type of line do you recommend?

Post  andy Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 am

hey try to come out to the fun fish this weekend newsman who is our resident fly basser he can give you a ton of tips in like 5 minutes of talking to him

as for me ive heard a 6wt to 8 weight are perfrect for bassing
andy
andy
king basser
king basser

http://www.westcoastbassanglers.webs.com

Back to top Go down

What weight rod and type of line do you recommend? Empty Re: What weight rod and type of line do you recommend?

Post  badgoalie Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 am

I'd love to, but I'll be out of town all weekend (of course the one weekend I won't be home......)

How often do guys get together?

Thanks man,

BG

badgoalie

Back to top Go down

Post  Quin Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 am

Very Happy
Hey,.... just a question, please don't think that I'm being a jerk for asking, (when we meet, you'll have plenty of other reasons to think(know!) I'm a jerk,...lol Very Happy lol )

Your 3/4 Spey rod, how long is it? It sounds like it may be just a long rod rated for 3/4. Spey rods are used for a particular casting technique. The flies can be very large, 4/0 wouldn't be unusual. As big or bigger than most bass flies Shocked

Have a look at the link! Your 6 wt will do OK if your patient, and remember to duck!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAoJrTlAnkY :

Hope to see you at Fishtrap on Saturday !!!

Quin Smile

Quin
lunker
lunker

Back to top Go down

Post  badgoalie Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:03 am

Quin wrote: Very Happy
Hey,.... just a question, please don't think that I'm being a jerk for asking, (when we meet, you'll have plenty of other reasons to think(know!) I'm a jerk,...lol Very Happy lol )

Your 3/4 Spey rod, how long is it? It sounds like it may be just a long rod rated for 3/4. Spey rods are used for a particular casting technique. The flies can be very large, 4/0 wouldn't be unusual. As big or bigger than most bass flies Shocked

Have a look at the link! Your 6 wt will do OK if your patient, and remember to duck!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAoJrTlAnkY :

Hope to see you at Fishtrap on Saturday !!!

Quin Smile

Hi Quin,

Nope, it's a real spey rod, an Amundson 3/4 trout spey. You're right, most people associate Spey casting with big heavy rods and salmon flies, but there's a recent trend towards lighter, shorter spey rods. A lot of guys use Scandi lines.

There's a local scene for it, check out this guy, he's local:

http://2handedtrout.com/?p=206

Thanks for the link, I'll rig up the 6wt and try it out.

As an aside, where can one fly fish in Fishtrap? I was there today and couldn't find a decent spot.

Take care,

BG

badgoalie

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:17 am

unless you have a unboat or pontoon boat id go to mill lake or albert dycke park aka walmsley aka molson lol
andy
andy
king basser
king basser

Back to top Go down

Post  newsman Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:06 pm

This one got by me, sorry about that. As for your questions;

Your 6wt won't cut it. I was told that, but with years of fly fishing under my belt, and having caught trophy trout and salmon on my 6wt, I didn't believe it. Believe it! A big bass will make you 6wt work like a wet noodle in your hands. I doubt you would be looking a busted rod; just a boring experience, might as well be hand-lining.

Take the advice of the pros down south, get a sencitive 8wt. Most brands are good. Personally I find the bass rods made by Sage and G loomis over rated and over priced.

Can't say anything about the spey, because I don't like spey fishing.

As for using a sink tip. I guess you could, but you will need to right on the retrieve since much of the water you will be fishing is not overly deep. I think you would find a standard sink easier to work with. On the rare time when you need to go deeper, I would suggest a shooting head on a dry line. You are looking more a short pocket rather than long deep troughs.

As for flies Minnows, minnows, Minnows, Leaches, Minnows, Leaches, Minnows, Crayfish, Leaches, Minnows, Lizards, Minnows, Frogs, Minnows, Mice, Leaches, and Minnows. I think you get the picture.

newsman
world record holder
world record holder

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:11 pm

hey jeff you look like you where stuttering at the end of that post lol Razz
andy
andy
king basser
king basser

Back to top Go down

Post  badgoalie Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:44 am

newsman wrote:This one got by me, sorry about that. As for your questions;

Your 6wt won't cut it. I was told that, but with years of fly fishing under my belt, and having caught trophy trout and salmon on my 6wt, I didn't believe it. Believe it! A big bass will make you 6wt work like a wet noodle in your hands. I doubt you would be looking a busted rod; just a boring experience, might as well be hand-lining.

Take the advice of the pros down south, get a sencitive 8wt. Most brands are good. Personally I find the bass rods made by Sage and G loomis over rated and over priced.

Can't say anything about the spey, because I don't like spey fishing.

As for using a sink tip. I guess you could, but you will need to right on the retrieve since much of the water you will be fishing is not overly deep. I think you would find a standard sink easier to work with. On the rare time when you need to go deeper, I would suggest a shooting head on a dry line. You are looking more a short pocket rather than long deep troughs.

As for flies Minnows, minnows, Minnows, Leaches, Minnows, Leaches, Minnows, Crayfish, Leaches, Minnows, Lizards, Minnows, Frogs, Minnows, Mice, Leaches, and Minnows. I think you get the picture.

Excellent info, appreciate it. The 9wt is in the mail as we speak, and I'll load the fly box up with some Minnows for the next trip.

G

badgoalie

Back to top Go down

Post  andy Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:14 am

try to come out to one of tourneys or fun fishes newsman can help you out alot at one of them
andy
andy
king basser
king basser

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down